★WELCOME TO MY BLOG ★

Friday, March 19, 2010

DOING WHAT YOU LOVE | FLORA SANTIAGO

One of the things I love most, is to see people utilizing their gifts and talents. What's even more exciting is when I see them make a living at it. Flora Santiago is a woman of many talents. One of her many talents is that of cake design. Her work is amazing! Here is Flora's story.



I love to design and sculpt cakes. I got started by watching a TV segment on Getaway Weddings on the Martha Stewart show. They featured a woman in New York who sculpted cakes. I remember being amazed and impressed with the cakes this woman was creating and she like me, was a fashion design major in college and I thought to myself...I can do that!! 

So I taught myself how to sculpt cakes...I guess I implemented my design and artistic education into my cake creations. My inspiration comes from my clients. I can sculpt almost anything into a cake, the only limitation is my client's imagination. My favorite recent cake sculpture would have to be the stack of The Twilight Book Novels, which took me 6 hours to do. The most difficult cake to create is the Gucci Shoe Box Cake, which takes weeks to prepare. The sugar shoe alone takes at least four days to dry. The weird thing is, whenever I get a request to do a cake, I never say I can't do that even though it will be the very first time I've ever sculpted that design. When I get a request to do a cake, I am already sculpting, designing and constructing the cake in my head beforehand from start to finish. Every detail of the cake design is already done in my head, so when I do actually bake and assemble the cake ...sort of like an idiot savant when it comes cake sculpting...lol!



















If you are passionate about something, don't let that passion go to waste. Make it your own and the sky will be the limit!


Thank you so much Flora for sharing your story!

To see more of Flora's amazing cake designs or place your order please visit: SweetAvenueLA



Photos courtesy of Flora Santiago
Photo credit: Ruddy Torres 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving your footprints :) Please check back to read my reply.

May you always be encouraged & Uplifted!

~Shereece